Sunday, September 7, 2008
5 Predictions for the NFL season
As I sit in front of my TV about to watch the kick-off of the NFL season, I am super excited. I truly believe that pro football is the best sport ever invented. The combination of teamwork, strategy and intensity is unparalleled in the world of sport. As you all know, early September begins with hope and promise for 32 teams, only to end in ultimate glory for one team in February 2009 at the Super Bowl. Along with the hope and promise, come the predictions and prognosticators. It is always fun to look back later in the year and make fun of the predictions that were way off and salute the predictions that were dead on. In the spirit of the new season I'm going to get in on the fun, so to speak. So here it is...My top 5 predictions for the NFL season.
5. AFC Championship Game: Pittsburgh vs. San Diego. Roethlisberger and Rivers, now seasoned vets will begin to take their place among Brady and Manning as super elite QBs in the AFC.
4. Chad Johnson will get traded to Oakland. First of all, I refuse to refer to him by his new ridiculous last name. Secondly a true class act like Marvin Lewis (from Western PA, by the way) won't tolerate Chad's foolishness for long. Lastly, Al Davis is only guy in the NFL who will tolerate that kind of foolishness.
3. Favre will take the Jets to the divisional round. The NY media machine will ride the Favre express until early January, overshadowing underachiever turned overachiever Eli Manning. Once the Jets gets dispatched, Madison Ave will refocus on the defending Super Bowl Champs, who will make it to the NFC Championship Game.
2. NFC Championship Game: New York vs. Dallas. Manning and Romo will continue a duel that could become the Steve Young/Troy Aikman rivalry of this era.
1. Adrian Peterson will break the single season rushing record. I feel like there isn't much to explain, if you have seen him play you know what I'm talking about. If not take look at this: