Wednesday, April 2, 2008

It Was A Good Day.

"Just waking up in the morning gotta thank God, I dont know but today seems kinda odd. No barking from the dogs, no smog and momma cooked a breakfast with no hog.... "- Ice Cube












Today, I took the afternoon off so I could take my mother to see Michelle Obama speak at Carnegie-Mellon University. It was the first political event I went to with my mother since my youth, so it was a very interesting experience for me. When I was boy she took me to feminist panel discussions, so it's only right I got the opportunity to take her to see such a dynamic woman speak.

One hour, no notes, pure passion and all intellect. A lot of the people left that gym hoping one day they'll get to vote Michelle Obama for (Fill In the Blank). On the way in, I caught this pic standing in front of the "Hip-Hop Hype Man" Van. In between some of his on fire freestyles and occasional witty one liners, he mentioned he had traveled all around the country selling Barack Obama SWAG. He also mentioned that some true laissez faire economists were selling SWAG from both democratic candidates. The Hip Hop Hype Man thought that was bogus, "You gotta pick a side!", he said before launching into a freestyle flow reminiscent of 3:45am basement keg party cipher circa 1993.

The rest of the day I've been thinking about how funny that was, how good Michelle was, but mostly I've been thinking about my mom and how that picture truly tells the story of my day much better than I could.